Monday, March 28

Knee High Socks into Leg or Arm Warmers

I was recently at Target picking up some stuff and came across their selection of women's knee high socks, I was so excited by what I saw. They have the cutest patterns and colors and I found some on clearance for under $2. What had me so excited about all these socks was what they were to become, leg warmers for Scarlett and arm warmers for me on cold morning runs. Now I am hardly the first person to do this but I thought I would share how I went about making ours.
 If you want to make your own you will need:
Socks
Scissors
Sewing machine or serger
 It took me about 10 minutes to make one pair, so it's a really great nap time project. I ended up making 13 pair that day but don't worry they weren't all for me, several were going to other homes.

The first thing I did was lay my socks out flat.
 Then I cut them into 4 sections, the leg (save as much as possible), the heel, the foot and the toe. You can then toss the heel and toe , you will only need the leg and foot sections for these.
 This is what you should be left with, you want your cuts on the ends to be as straight as possible
 Then fold the foot piece under, wrong sides touching, cut ends together, so that you are left with a tube.
 Then slip that over the bottom of your leg piece, matching up all the cut ends, folded end facing up.
 It should look like this, 3 raw ends all the way around.
 Pin them in place, keeping them lined up as best as you can. Make sure you are leaving an opening, otherwise you wont get your leg/arm in your warmer.
 Then using a serger or zigzag stitch on a sewing machine, sew all the way around the bottom, making sure to catch all three layers. You want to make sure your stitches aren't too close together so that there is some give to it, I used a serger and had my stitch length set at 2.  I was lazy and used white thread on all my socks because it really doesn't show on your finished product, it's up to you if you want to use matching thread.
 Once they are sewed together, flip that piece down and your finished. They might look a little ripply where you joined the two pieces together but don't worry they work themselves out some in the wash and don't show when they are on.
 I'm so excited because arm warmers for running are not cheap and I was able to make myself some fun ones for less than $2 each.
 And they are so great for Scarlett in this in between weather. When it's cold in the morning her legs are nice and toasty and she can still wear a skit and when it warms up later in the day we can just slip them off and she's good to go.
 Not to mention, they are super comfy for any kind of activity.
In my next post I will show you how you can do the same kind of thing with a pair of toe socks. Until then, have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...