1. Get them involved-Talk to them about the upcoming weekend, tell them how fun it will be, ask what they would like to bring along.
2. Bring a stroller/wagon to haul your kids and stuff around in- It frees up your hands when need be like when you need a safe place for them while you are taking pictures of your stud husband. It also gives them a place to rest when they start to loose steam.
3. Bring things to keep their hands busy- The kids are super excited to cheer daddy on and take in their surroundings when we first get there but the start to bore and need things to play with. My kids are 2 and 3 and what works great for them is bringing along blank paper and crayons, play food, digging tools and their favorite stuffed animals for when they start to get tired.
4. Don't forget sunscreen and a change of clothes- The day can start out chilly but it usually ends up warming up so a change of clothes and some extra sunscreen is always handy, plus you never know what kind of dirt they may get into.
5. If you have a beach tent, bring it! My sister got me this one for my birthday and it is the best thing ever!! It keeps us out of the sun, it's cooler inside, gives me a great place to do diaper changes, is awesome for snack time and it keeps us from having to sit in the grass which we all break out from. I can't wait to try this bad boy out at the beach next weekend!
6. Treat them to something special at the end of the day- My kids love going to races but it is always fun to treat them to something special. We usually get snow cones or lemonade for the kids and it makes their day!
7. Make cheering fun! Bring along cow bells and signs and just go crazy. The kids will have fun and the athletes love it!
8. Make friends with the other families out there, you will probably see them again soon at another event so you may as well become buddies.
10. And the most important thing of all-PACK SNACKS!! I pack a picnic basket full and we go through it all. Save your money for better things and bring along fruit, veggies, hummus, whatever you like to eat. There is nothing that calms a wild child like a good snack.
If you have any great tips I would love to hear them, I'm always looking for ways to keep things exciting. Have a great day!