Wednesday, March 28

Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap

 A few years back I was making a homemade laundry soap that I was pretty happy with, then suddenly I wasn't able to find washing soda anywhere so I quit. Then last week while I was cruising through the store I ran across washing soda on the shelf, I was so excited! I already had borax at home so all I needed was the washing soda and a bar of Fels-Naptha and I would be good to go.
I had planned to made a liquid soap but after searching online for recipes I decided to go with a powder to save space in our already tight garage. I had this cute laundry container that I kept my Oxy in and thought it would be perfect for my new laundry soap, so I moved the Oxy out and the made my soap right in it.
After searching around on several blogs, this is the recipe that I came up with.

1 bar Fels-Naptha Soap finely grated
1 cup Washing Soda (Washing soap and baking soda are not the same thing. I have always found washing soda on the laundry isle. Make sure that is what you are getting.) 
1 cup Borax

  • Dump all ingredients into your storage container (airtight is best)
  •  Then stir them all until they become a fine powder.
  • Use 2 tablespoons per load
I have only been using this soap for about a week now but I am happy with it and I love the lemony sent of it. My whole family has very sensitive skin and it doesn't seem to bother any of us, most store bought laundry soaps do. I throw a scoop of Oxy in with extra dirty loads and that help gets the funk out. I have only used Fels-Naptha for the grated soap so I can only tell you how I feel about that one. I am happy to be spending a fraction of the cost on laundry soap and it only takes about 20 minutes to make, I can easily find that kind of time to save my family money. If you have any questions of comments let me know and I will answer them the best I can.

3 comments:

  1. i think i may try this recipe next time! i just made a 5 gallon pail of liquid soap, using the same ingredients. i use a bar soap from canada that my mom brings down for me because i've found that fels naptha doesn't completely dissolve easily. so my question is, do you find bits of the soap on your clothes ever, especially when doing a cold load?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heidi! I only wash our clothes in cold water and so far I have not found any soap or residue. How are you liking the liquid soap?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the liquid soap, except its a bit of a pain to make...you need to melt the soap on the stove with water, then put it all in a 5 gallon bucket, let sit overnight, and then i get my hubby to stir it up the next morning with a paint mixer. THEN we have to fill a bunch of empty juice bottles up with the soap and it gets a little messy, plus every time i start a new load of laundry, i have to shake the bottle of soap or else it gets pretty gelatinous in there. needless to say, i'm thinking that your way might be a lot easier!! i'm going to try it next time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...