Friday, January 21

Fresh baked bagels

 About a year ago we switched over to eating gluten free for the sake of my dear hubby. The kids and I still enjoy tortillas and bread occasionally but all of the baking and cooking that we do is gluten free. At first I found some of the things to be dry and crumbly tasting but once I discovered the right flour mixes I was a convert. It had been about a year since we last had bagels in this house and I'm pretty sure Scarlett didn't even know what they were so I decided to jump outside my comfort zone and make some. They turned out warm and chewy and so tasty. We devoured the whole batch in just a few days and I will most definitely be making them again. I used Pamela's bread mix , I personally think all of the Pamela's flour mixes are superior, and followed their bagel recipe.



I choose to make the dough and shape them the night before so that we could have fresh baked bagels in the morning and was very happy with that decision. I made half of the batch plain and added cinnamon and raisins to the other half. The plain ones were pretty good, the cinnamon raisins ones were excellent. I would also like to experiment with dried cranberries and walnuts, maybe next time.
In the morning I poked holes in all of them so they looked like bagels and boiled them, which I definitely recommend doing. I then popped them in the oven and 20 minutes later we ate all but 4 of them, yummy.
The steps involved in making them had intimidated me initially but once I did it I realized that they are really easy to make, give it a try if you haven't before, your family will be happy you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...