Friday, August 20

Colored Ice

It's been so hot here recently and I have been trying to find some activities to do to keep us cool. Well I found one that was a total hit. I filled an ice tray with water then added 2 drops of food coloring to each cube to create some bright colored ice. Aren't they pretty?
I thought once they were frozen they might not be as vibrant but they were still very bright. Then once our ice was ready I filled our little pool up, gave Scarlett a cup to collect the ice in and threw the ice into the pool. She was so excited to see the colored ice and started to call out the colors and put them in her little cup.
You can make a game out of it and have them collect all of one color or just say what each color is as the collect them. My only complaint is that the ice melted within about 10 minutes and we would have had fun playing with it longer. Next time I'm going to try freezing it in little cups or baggies so that we can play longer. The ice turned the pool a little murky looking but the food coloring didn't leave a mark on our skin or bathing suits and we played in the pool for about an hour. We had a blast and I will totally be doing this again.
And of course always supervise little ones near water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...